Machine Learning and Computational Journalism
Welcome to the webpage for Machine Learning and Computational Journalism.
- R Error Message Cheat Sheet: contains some common R error messages. If you get an error while running a line that you expect to work (perhaps because you saw it on the screen), you can check these examples. (In particular, check your spelling and capitalization carefully).
- Data Wrangling Cheat Sheet: this sheet is a great summary of dplyr and tidyr operations, two packages used today.
- Resources for future learning A page of additional resources for learning R
- Coursera Data Science Track, mentioned in class as a way to learn more R and data science.
- Introduction to Statistical Learning, a free textbook that gives an (R) example-driven introduction to deeper statistical concepts.
We’ll be studying a set of United Nations voting data that can be found here:
- Anton Strezhnev; Erik Voeten, 2013, “United Nations General Assembly Voting Data”, hdl:1902.1/12379 UNF:5:s7mORKL1ZZ6/P3AR5Fokkw== Erik Voeten [Distributor] V7 [Version]
You can download it using the following line of code: